3M Wafer Support System™
Semiconductor manufacturers and other users of silicon wafers need those wafers to be ultrathin, but, like anything, the thinner the wafers get, the more fragile they become. To reinforce silicon wafers and protect them against damage during conventional thinning and post-thinning processing operations, Syagrus Systems utilizes the 3M Wafer Support System.
Temporary Wafer Bonding Solution
The 3M Wafer Support System is a proven method of making ultrathin wafer manufacturing more reliable and more efficient. This temporary wafer bonding solution combines 3M bonding chemistries with state-of-the-art equipment designed specifically for wafer processing.
A special UV-curable adhesive, formulated specifically for temporary bonding of semiconductor wafers to glass, is the key component of the process. The 3M adhesive is spun onto the wafer surface and used as a bonding agent between the wafer and a glass carrier. This mounting process is performed under vacuum to ensure that no air bubbles or other voids are trapped between the wafer and the support glass.
The adhesive flows into and supports the topography of the circuit patterns on the front side of the wafer. This creates a uniform, rigid support surface that helps minimize stress on the wafer and allows for wafer thinning to less than 20µm final thickness.
After wafer thinning, the glass substrate continues to provide support for post-grinding processes such as etch, CMP, or metal deposition. Because the wafer bonding process creates support for the entire face and the edges of the wafer, it results in less warpage, cracking, and edge chipping, and helps promote higher yields.
After wafer bonding and processing, a special laser is used to debond the glass carrier plate. This allows for easy, chemical-free separation using minimal force. No heat, wet chemistry or soaking are required to separate the silicon wafer from the glass substrate. The wafer bond adhesive can then be peeled from the wafer.
From there, Syagrus Systems can take your thin wafer all the way to singulated die form. We provide highly efficient, highly effective wafer dicing services, automated die visual inspection services, wafer die sort services, and more.
1) Mount (Spin coat UV resin on wafer; vacuum bond to support glass; UV irradiate)
2) Backgrind using conventional grind methods.
Thinned wafer is fully supported after backgrind operation for safe handling.
3) Bonded wafer stack is mounted to saw frame using standard wafer mounting systems.
4) Laser Irradiation - The laser debond creates micro voids in the LTHC layer allowing for separation between glass support and wafer.
5) Remove Support - After laser debonding, the glass support lifts off easily and is cleaned and recycled for multiple uses.
6) Remove Adhesive - Adhesive layer removes easily, leaving minimal to no residue.
Advantages of the 3M Wafer Support System
Syagrus Systems uses the 3M Wafer Support System because it is the best and most effective way to reinforce silicon wafers during thinning and other backend processing. Additional advantages include:
- Specifically designed for semiconductor wafer processes: The 3M system is compatible with high temperature and high vacuum processes, most common process chemistries, and low-k dielectric materials.
- Increases yields: This wafer bonding solution minimizes grinding and debonding stress for reduced warpage, cracking, and edge chipping.
- Promotes higher throughput: With no need for solvents and the ability to debond at room temperature, the 3M system is considerably faster than many other wafer bonding processes, resulting in quicker turnarounds on your project.
Light To Heat Conversion - Coating Services (LTHC)
Syagrus Systems also provides glass substrate coating services. The Light To Heat Conversion (LTHC) layer is applied via spin coating process and cured for use with the 3M WSS process. Glass substrates are verified after coating for proper levels of light transmittal.
Contact Syagrus to learn more about our 3M Wafer Support System and Temporary Wafer Bonding Services
Contact us today for more information. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Check out other additional wafer services offered by Syagrus: